Wednesday, May 22, 2013

2013 Chicago Spring Half Marathon

3 years ago I set a half marathon PR at this race and it was the first time I was the overall winner at a race.  Not to mention my wife got a cool picture of me leading the race.  



Around that time I also determined that if I wanted to be a better long course triathlete I needed to be more balanced and not just rely on my run.  So for 2+ years I put more focus on the swim and tried to be balanced across the bike and run.  In other words I ran less/easier and swam and bike more.  It worked and my triathlon times dropped, but my open run times have slowed down.   

This year I figured I would just run a bit more and get my run speed back while holding on to my improved swim/bike fitness.  As a test I decided to do the same half marathon 3 years later.

My prep and the race both went ok.  I definitely worked hard and had the best race I could have had.  I ended up negative splitting and ran a very steady and controlled race.  Aerobically I felt fine but I just couldn't get my legs to go any faster the 5:50 pace today.  This seems to be a trend for me at all distances as my body just settles in and wants to hold a pace and I can't surge no matter how hard I try.  Anyway, I didn't make it down to the 1:15 I ran 3 years ago, but I did run 1:17.  The one thing that did stay consistent is my wife got another good picture.




Time to get back to racing triathlons now with some local Sprint and Olympic races just for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment