- IMWI has 72 slots
- 10% go to Pros - I'll round up to 8
- Each of the 12 AGs get one slot for Men and Women as long as there is someone racing in that AG - 24 slots
- That leaves 40 more slots which are divided based on number of people in each AG
- There are 210 registered in my AG and 2,691 total - 7.8% in my AG
- 7.8% of 40 means my AG gets another 3.12 slots, plus the 1 that all AGs get
Therefore, if everyone takes their slot, I will have to be top 4 to qualify for Kona, or in the top 1.9% of my AG.
I see why it can take years for most people to qualify. I have a long way to go in a short time if I have any chance at making it this year. Based on last years results, I probably have to drop another half hour off my goal time to make it this year.
All I can do is keep training, race my race and see what happens. It's a good thing I like a challenge and can stay focued for more then a year because it may take a few more.